Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

Getty Images, job hunting, language, and Christoph Eschenbach



So I'm in between regular paid gigs, right, scouring the job sites every day. I'm finding that a few companies present themselves coherently, but a lot of them are delegating the task of writing their job descriptions to people who can't write too well. It can be a bit disorienting, especially when it's a well-known company. Today's example:

"You are a talented, data-driven and energetic product manager with a background in e-commerce and content management integration. You have a strong knowledge about Content Management Systems (CMS) and a deep understanding of e-commerce and customers in general."

It should be "knowledge OF," not ABOUT, right? Not a huge deal, but it stood out. When did prepositions become arbitrary? Are those pesky connectors in English sentences just placeholders now? You just mix and match, slap an "about" or a "to" or a "with" right in there, or whatever you feel like today? The reason I mention it is that it happens a lot. Not too shocking when you hear this kind of thing in conversation (or in radio copy, don't ask me how I know), but Getty Images is the crème de la crème.

I suppose it's just as well I don't have a strong "knowledge about" Content Management Systems. Anyway, I've posted one of my all-time favorite Getty Images photos above, of conductor Christoph Eschenbach as a young man. I just love this one and I've been wanting to buy it for a long time. See, I'm not really cranky with, or at, or about, Getty Images. They've just shattered my illustions, is all! [cries]

No comments:

Post a Comment